10 Reasons Why We Should Be Drinking Warm Water & Lemon First Thing
Updated: Feb 1, 2019
A habit I usually like to dip in and out of (because I find it hard to resist a cuppa tea first thing!) has today been made my no.1 habit to pick up again! You may be like me and knew drinking lemon and warm water first thing was good for you? But do you actually know why?!
It has so many benefits I hadn't even realised until today - so I wanted to share these with you and maybe you will choose to join me in serving yourself one of these first thing each morning. Start your day healthy and set your body up for a new day, the cuppa can still come... just afterwards!
First things first, lemons! This lovely yellow fruit has two commonly known benefits:
- Strong antibacterial , antiviral and immune boosting powers
- A weight loss aid and liver cleanser
But Why? What's In It You Ask!
Lemons contain many substances including citric acid, calcium, magnesium, vitamin C, bioflavonoids, pectin and limonene - these combines provide immunity and fight infection. Ever wondered why those wet wipes after a takeaway always smell lemony?!
Tips To Do It Right
- Water should be lukewarm not hot!! Ice cold water takes longer for your body to digest.
- Use fresh lemons - not lemon juice
- Squeeze half a lemon with each glass... - Drink it before you consume/do anything else
Surprisingly it does taste quite nice and you can experiment a little by adding some ginger which has added benefits for an even healthier kick start to the day!
MY TOP 10 BENEFITS OF WARM WATER WITH LEMON ARE:
1. Aids Digestion - lemon flushes out unwanted materials and toxins from the body. They are also high in minerals and vitamins and help to relieve indigestion, heartburn, belching and bloating.
2. Cleanses Your System/ Is A Diuretic - Lemon juice helps to increase the amount of times you need to pee, hence helping to flush out unwanted materials in our bodies. The citric acid stimulates the liver and aids in detoxification.
3. Boosts Immune System - Lemons are high in Vitamin C, great for fighting colds. They're high in potassium too, which stimulates brain and nerve function. Potassium also helps control blood pressure and has anti-inflammatory effects used to compliment asthma and other respiratory symptoms. It also enhances iron absorption.
4. Balances pH Levels - One of the most alkalising foods for the body. Not acidic you ask? Yes - but once inside of us they turn to alkaline. Drinking lemon regularly can help to remove acidity in the body which can be the cause of inflammation and pain.
5. Clears Skin/Anti Ageing - SOLD! The vitamin C component as well as other antioxidants helps to decrease wrinkles and blemishes. Vitamin C is vital for healthy glowing skin and it's alkaline nature helps to kill some types of bacteria known to cause acne. Since lemon water purges toxins from your blood - it would also be helping to keep your skin clear of blemishes from the inside out, so lemon rejuvenates the skin from within your body. Magic!
6. Energises You Whilst Enhancing Your Mood - The energy a human receives from food comes from the atoms and molecules in our food. The way lemon reacts with our bodies means it provides our body with extra energy when it enters the digestive tract. The scent of lemon also has mood enhancing and energising properties and can apparantly help to reduce anxiety and depression.
7. Promotes Healing - Self explanatory, vitamin C is an essential component to maintenance of good health, healing and recovery from stress or injury.
8. Freshens Breath - Plus lemons have been known to relieve tooth pain and gingivitis. Beware though as citric acid can erode tooth enamel - do not brush your teeth just after drinking your lemon water. Brush teeth first or rinse mouth with water before cleaning them.
9. Hydrates Your Lymph System - Lemon juice supports the immune system by hydrating and replacing fluids lost by your body. When your body is deprived of water you will feel tired, sluggish, constipated, stressed, lack of energy, irritable to name a few.
10. Aids In Weight Loss - Lemons are high in Pectin fibre which help to fight hunger cravings. Studies have shown people who eat a more alkaline diet, do lose weight faster. I personally find if I start my day healthy then I am more likely to make healthier choices throughout the day too.
Tip to finish! I zest my lemons before juicing them into my warm water and keep the zest in a container in the freezer. I then use this to toss in to pasta dishes or in to home made salad dressings!
*LET ME KNOW IF YOU ARE JOINING ME ON THIS NEW HABIT TOMORROW - TAKE A PIC OF YOURS AND TAG @LYDIAPILATES ON FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM*
Bye for now!
#Body #depression #anxiety #lemon #warmwaterandlemon #habits #morningritual #mornings #healthy #kickstart #detox #cleanse #antiageing #digestion #pilatesbody #pilatesbedfordshire #immunesystem #ph #goodmood #weightloss